JeepLinks

Friday 27 July 2007

Shifting problem

I posted a question on a Jeep Cherokee Yahoo group about a problem I've been having. I'll post it here in case it helps anyone.


Switch between 2X4 and 4X4 HI on the fly not working properly

Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:42 pm (PST)

I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem as me, where when
I try to shift from 2WD to 4WD on the fly, it gets stuck in Part Time
4WD and won't shift properly unless I stop and go forwards and
backwards a bit for a few times?

It's really annoying and potentially damaging, so I tend just to leave
it in 4WD. I suspect that doing this is costing me fuel economy.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew.

PS. It's a '96 XJ Cherokee Limited

Re: Switch between 2X4 and 4X4 HI on the fly not working properly

Posted by: "Mike Lake"

Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:36 pm (PST)

Normal. 4wd hi is for wet surface, dirt roads, and snow. If your rear axle
is 3.55 gears, then the front is 3.54. Not much difference, but when used
on roads were you have solid traction, that small fraction adds up over
distance and it binds up the case. I have had it stay engaged for almost a
quater mile before and then it slams like I hit a truck. On loose surface,
it will naturally not bind.

On 7/25/07, playfreelotto <> wrote:
>
> I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem as me, where when
> I try to shift from 2WD to 4WD on the fly, it gets stuck in Part Time
> 4WD and won't shift properly unless I stop and go forwards and
> backwards a bit for a few times?
>
> It's really annoying and potentially damaging, so I tend just to leave
> it in 4WD. I suspect that doing this is costing me fuel economy.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew.
>
> PS. It's a '96 XJ Cherokee Limited
>
>
>

--

Michael Lake


No comments: